Mostly minerals and acid salts clumps together to form stones that can be tiny or even marble sized. They are present anywhere along the urinary tract and can stay there without causing pain. They start to hurt when they start moving. Even the kids develop kidney stones. Do you want to know what causes kidney stones in kids? Let’s dive in!
Kidney Pain In Child
Kids experience kidney pain in lower abdomen due to kidney stones. Symptoms include:
- a frequent need of urination
- sever pain in the side, back or lower abdomen, or pain in groin
- pain while urination
- red, pink or brown blood in the urine
- bad smelling urine
- inability to urinate or only urinate a small amount
- irritability in young children
Kidney pain can come and go. Sometimes Children face some other problems associated with kidney pain such as vomiting, nausea and fever.
What Causes kidney stones In kids?
There are several factors that put your baby at risk of developing a kidney stone. They are formed due to many reasons. Some of the common causes of kidney stones in kids include:
Dinking less water causes dehydration. Minerals in the urine start to concentrate and results in crystal formation. This may further cause kidney damage if gets worse.
An Imbalanced Diet
Taking a diet rich in oxalates contributes towards stone formation in kidneys. Spinach, chocolate, nuts, beets and tea are rich in oxalates and contributes towards stone formation in kidneys. Some of the common foods that causes kidney stones include tomatoes, rice, French fries and sweet potatoes.
Medicines that cause Calcium Oxalate stones include:
- Loop diuretics
- Taking vitamin C and D more than the required dose
Some medicines that develop uric acid stones include:
- Aspirin products
- Gout medicine
Medicines that actually form kidney stones include:
- Potassium-sparing diuretics
- protease inhibitors
Children who have a history of kidney stones are more susceptible to this condition. It means if anyone among their family members have kidney stones or even if they previously had stones in kidney, there is a great chance that they may develop the stones too. Get in touch with a urologist ASAP in case of constant pain.
Certain Medical Conditions
There are several medical conditions that are associated with kidney stone formation. Some of them include:
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Rental Tubular acidosis
Pediatric Kidney Stone Diet
Those who have kidney stones must increase their fluid intake especially water. They should avoid consuming much salt. Moreover, they should eat a good diet that is low in fats. They should limit protein consumption. Eating oranges or drinking fresh lemonade is also a good thing for those with kidney stones.
Can Girls Get Kidney Stones ?
What do you think that girls can get kidney stones or not? Well, females who are 18 to 39 years old develop infection stones more often than men. But the bladder stones are more common in men as they block their prostate gland.
Pediatric Kidney Stone Management
Treatment of kidney stones depends upon the location, size and number of stones in the urinary tract of a children. Sometimes, a stone pass out itself when a child urinate. In some cases, it doesn’t pass out with urine and it is removed through different methods in the hospital that include:
- Putting a small tube, through the urinary tract into urethra that pulls out the stone
- Using lasers that break the kidney stone
- Undergoing surgery
- Inserting a tube through child’s skin into the kidney. This finds, breaks down and removes the stone
How To Prevent Kidney Stones?
There are so many preventive measures that if your child follow, will reduce the risk of kidney stone formation. They include:
- Drink a lot of water. Ask the doctor how much water is required for your kid and he must intake that much water strictly. Your child’s urine must be clear. If it is pale, then consult a doctor as pale yellow urine means the kid is at risk of developing kidney stones.
- Take healthy diet and avoid taking foods rich in oxalates. Eat foods that are low in salt. Avoid eating meats, processed foods and junk foods. Eat vegetables and fruits especially citrus fruits. Avoid certain fruits such as those who have high fructose corn syrup. Talk to your child’s doctor to get a healthy diet plan to prevent the kid from developing kidney stone.
- Do exercise on a regular basis. It will not only keep your kid active but also gives him a healthy life. Moreover, it will prevent him from getting obese which is also a factor associated with kidney stones.
No doubt, kidney stones occur in the children too. And we are concerned about the health of your kids. Do not let the kidney stones harm them. Just book an appointment with the Pediatric Nephrologist via Marham.pk.